One Pot Chicken and Veggies
3/4 cup of Uncle Dibbz Straight Drop Rub
1 4 to 4 ½ -pound whole chicken
¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
2 lemons, divided
12 sprigs fresh thyme or 6 sprigs fresh rosemary (or a mix), divided
1 pound carrots (about 4 medium carrots)
2 garlic heads
1 medium red onion
1 pound small potatoes
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
¼ cup white wine or low-sodium chicken broth
- Pat chicken dry. Rub chicken with 1 Tbsp. oil. Season chicken inside and out with 1/2 cup of Uncle Dibbz Straight Drop Rub . Slice 1 lemon in half and stuff inside chicken along with half of thyme or rosemary sprigs. Cross legs and use butcher’s twine to tie legs together at end of drumsticks. Let sit at room temperature at least 45 minutes, or up to overnight in fridge (bring to room temperature before cooking).
- Prep your vegetables: Peel carrots and cut into 1 inch pieces. Slice off top of each head of garlic crosswise to just expose tops of cloves. Peel and halve red onion. Cut into 1” wedges, keeping some root intact so wedges stay together. Slice potatoes into halves or quarters so that all vegetables are about same size. Toss all vegetables in a medium bowl with 1 Tbsp. oil, and remaining Uncle Dibbz Straight Drop Rub.
- Preheat to 400F.
- In a large Dutch Oven with a lid, heat remaining 2 Tbsp. oil over medium. Take your time to brown chicken skin on all sides until evenly browned, 15–20 minutes total. Adjust heat, lowering if necessary, to avoid burning spice rub.
- Remove chicken from Pot and transfer to a sheet Pan.
- Turn off heat under Pot and add butter, allowing it to melt. Add vegetable mixture and stir, coating vegetables with melted butter. Pour in wine or broth and stir again. Place browned chicken on top, breast side up. Cover Pot with lid, and transfer to oven.
- Bake chicken 40 minutes. Remove from oven and increase heat to 425F. Baste chicken with juices from Pot and return to oven, uncovered. Bake until chicken is cooked to an internal temperature of 165F, and skin is golden brown, 15–25 minutes more.
- Remove chicken from oven and transfer to a cutting board to rest 15 minutes. Remove garlic heads and let cool. Stir vegetable mixture and return to oven, uncovered, to brown while chicken rests.
- Carve chicken and serve alongside vegetables and garlic toasts. Top with parsley, and a squeeze of lemon. That's good Shawty!